Monday, July 24, 2006

Joe the Hero?!

The week wore on. I was at work from 8 am until 8 pm, hammering out the brochure. Joe and I were getting along pretty well. Drinking lots of coffee. I was also doing other projects for Ross. I was stressed. The headache I'd had for the last three days had intensified. My apartment was a mess, I was exhausted, and I was constantly checking my phone to see if the Douchebag had called. And no, by the way. he hadn't. In almost a week. And no, nothing bad happened to him because I'm sure if it did I would know. Okay?!)

Umayeah. So nothing from the Douchebag. No calls, no texts, no emails. And so I feel like it's time to pull the plug and say goodbye.
"You always say that," Lainie said, not even looking up from her computer.
"Yeah but I'm really done."I insisted.
"I know."
I sighed. "Look, if I say it enough, it'll happen eventually, right?"
"Hey." Joe waved at me from his office. "Let's go. Next round of changes."
I made a pouty face and dragged myself to his office.
"I'm thinking of moving."
"Great. You live in the crappiest neighborhood." Joe circled a blurb. "This looks weird. Double check that?"
"Yeah."
"Looking good on this page..."
"You realize this is maybe the eleventh draft."
"Make sure you cross reference these dates with the master calendar."
"Yeah." I peered over his shoulder.
"You didn't change this paragraph."
"I didn't do it on purpose. Re-read it."
Joe mumbled the blurb. "You're right. "
We slogged through the 45 page document and Joe sent me back to my desk to input his myriad of corrections. When I finished that, I dragged myself back to Joe's desk with a stack of publicity materials.
Joe rifled through the stack silently until he got to the last one. He lifted an eyebrow.
"Um, I know, that's why I'm showing it to you."
"Okay, take out that box and then rearrange everything around the graphic."
"Great, thanks." I went back to my desk. I was running out of time, these had to be printed by the end of the day. I did what Joe said. It still didn't look right.
"I can't do it." I reported.
"Yes, you can."
"Clearly not."
Joe sighed. "Let me do it."
Ten minutes later, I had a perfect piece. Joe was definitely on my good list.

This week, anyway.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah joe!

and then you got a call from tony...

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I love this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home