Friday, May 19, 2006

Peace Treaty

Joe breezed into the office the following day, leaned over my desk, commented on my latest desktop picture change and grinned at me. I shot him a dirty look, muttered something under my breath (okay, not so under my breath) and he backed off into his office. A few minutes later he passed me to drop something off on Lainie's desk, and he paused. "I'm not sure why you're giving me such attitude," he said. "But I really don't have time to deal with it."
"Fine."
Visibly annoyed, he walked away, then came back. I focused very hard on the article I was reading about American Idol.
"Don't give me attitude because you're annoyed that I sent you-"
"Not right now." I desperately kept my eyes glued to the screen.
"Look, let's go outside for a minute."
"No."
Frustrated, Joe went back to his office. A minute later my phone rang.
"What?"
"I'd like to resolve this."
I sighed. I don't do confrontation. Hence my attitude towards him. That's my passive-aggressive way of telling him I was mad.
"I asked you to do something. It took a really long time and I thought that it was simple and I managed to do it in five seconds. That email was pure professional criticism and has nothing to do with us being friends."
"It was obnoxious." I said. "I always appreciate constructive criticsm, especially from you. but there's a way of saying something, and that email was a clear 'I am superior and clearly more capable'. And that really hurt me. I'm not your secretary. I don't mind taking orders from you for a project but you can't be all degrading about it."
"I apologize."
"Thanks. Me too."
"Great. So we're cool."
"We're cool." I conceded. We hung up.
"So no more Evil Spawn Alex Karev?" Lainie asked.
"Not today." I replied. We laughed and I refocused on American Idol.

1 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg....it's like de ja vu.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home