Monday, January 16, 2006

As every Imelda knows, when you buy fabulous shoes you need to store them in a fabulous way. Especially if you cannot pay your ConEd bill, you might as well blow the rest of your paycheck and wait until you get the finasl shut-off notice. So that's how I found myself at The Container Store. For us people who like to pretend to be organized, the Container Store is our mecca. Containers for hangers, sweaters, sheets, toilet paper, containers. It's amazing. I wandered the aisles, marveling at how organized I could really be if I had thousands of dollars, and stood infront of the boxes made especially for shoes. I bought one box for my boots and another for my newest acquisition, and then meandered over to the closet organizers, just for fun. Not far from there, a small group of women sat in a circle of chairs.
"Sometimes I just need to be free from the clutter, " one woman said earnestly. Several others nodded. Was this some kind of Get Organized seminar? I inched closer.
"I don't know how to stop," a pert brunette said. "I just come home every day with new ways to organize the mail, organize the counters, organize the cabinets. I keep trying to simplify my life but instead it just gets more complicated!"
"Ladies," a woman interjected. I assumed she was the group leader. "That's just it. it's all about simplifying. And you CAN have a simpler, easier life, but you need to stop the addiction."
I took a step back and turned to a nearby salesperson who was stacking soap organizers. "Excuse me, but what is that group meeting over there?"
"Oh, that's our support group for compulsive organizers," she replied. "They meet once a week."
"Thanks." I turned my attention back to the meeting. One woman was now crying, holding a drawer organizer.
"I just can't not use it, " she sobbed.
I hurried to checkout, trying not to laugh. I know what you're thinking, so am I--WHAT?!

*based on a true story. Thanks, Laura!

4 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger Rik said...

this is a GREAT story, i'm really enjoying it. you're a very good writer.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Hinda said...

Haha!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Hinda said...

Sorry, I forgot to sign as Jax...

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thumbing through the net for awhile and it feels similar to chasing rainbows to discover answers. Finally, some progress in finding your blog. I especially enjoyed your most recent post.

Wishing you the best of luck,
Closet Systems

 

Post a Comment

<< Home