Thursday, March 02, 2006

I have been sleeping in my office. Well, not overnight, but yesterday I could not figure out what was on my face until I realized it was my keyboard--and that I was sleeping on it. The CFJJ dinner was overtaking my life. We sent out maybe 3000 invitations, and they usually get 500 or 600 people. The ballroom can hold 2500 people, and we were rapidly approaching 2475. Between Holden and Monica, my contacts at the CFJJ, the caterers, Ross, my other projects, David, and some...other drama (more on that later), my head was spinning. All four of my phone lines were buzzing non-stop, I was drinking 5 cups of coffee a day, not eating chocolate, and did I mention there was drama?
"Reservations," I chirped into the phone for the hundredth time today.
"Hey."
"Eddie?"
"Yo, big sis, what's up?"
"I can't believe you're calling me!" I looked furtively around the room for Ross and then ducked my head. Eddie was one of my favorite little brothers" that I had worked with in my previous job. He was studying abroad for the year and I missed him.
"Sean told me you were crazy busy so I thought I would interrupt you."
"Thanks!" I took a sip of my now cold coffee. "How are you?"
"A little drunk," he admitted. "But not too drunk, don't worry. It was my roommate's birthday."
"Ah." I said. "So you had to go out and get wasted."
"Like you never do the same thing!" Eddie retorted. "I saw those birthday party pictures!"
"Um, hello. I would be legally allowed to drink."
"Everything's legal here!" He laughed. "Anyways, I have to go. Just wanted to say hey."
"Thanks, Eddie!"
"Love ya!"
The phone went dead and I smiled. Great kid. (AUTHOR'S NOTE: Ed, I miss you!)
"Hey!" Ross burst into the office. "Walden made a $20,000 donation to CFJJ and we need to seat him with the Carringtons."
"Oh no no..." I jumped out of my seat, only to get strangled by my headset. "Dammit! Ross, that's impossible! We've already done the tables!"
"Well, you'll have to redo them." Ross walked out of the office. I slumped back into my seat, just as Joe sauntered by my desk.
"Hey."
"WHAT?"
"Geez, you're pissy." Joe leaned against my desk. "Hey, did you look up that seminar info for me?"
"Hey, did you lose all use of your limbs in an accident and somehow can't manage to use the internet yourself?" I snapped. "Hello, CFJJ dinner. Ring a bell?"
"Oh, is that this weekend?" He asked innocently. "My bad."
"You have three seconds to back off really, really quickly."
"Children, please." Lainie, my coworker, waved her arms in the air. "Joe, leave her alone. Babe, here, have a cup of coffee." I took the steaming cup from her, glared at Joe, and turned back to the ballroom diagram.
"Here." Joe proffered three Splendas. "Need help?"
"I would like to stay mad at you."
"Well, you just can't, can you?" He grinned and walked away.
I groaned and picked up the ringing phone.
"Reservations."
"I am so glad you're there, darling," Heather Carrington trilled. My heart sank. "Darling, Harry Tremont just told me that he's coming!Isn't that just fabulous! So I'm going to want to put him at my table."
"Mrs. Carrington, I already have a full table for you," I reminded her. "I redid it twice."
Heather laughed. "That's okay, darling, you can move Freddy Carmichael."
"Mr. Carmichael is your co-chair." I said patiently.
"Well, I'm sure you'll work it out." Heather hung up and I buried my face in my hands.
Hey!" Ross came back in. "I have three more gold donors. Find a place for them."
"No!" I cried. "Look, Ross, I can't! We have no more room! We are overbooked! I don't care who is giving a million dollars to the CFJJ! We are done!" I threw my coffee in the trash and walked out of the office.

2 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Blogger Special Ed said...

you couldn't discuise it a little better. what if my mother reads this

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Hinda said...

"Hey, did you lose all use of your limbs in an accident and somehow can't manage to use the internet yourself?"

I LOVE THAT LINE! HAHAHAHAHA!

XOXO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home